Wrapping up our eco-friendly packaging solutions
We recently informed you about ‘Project Harmony’. Introduced at the beginning of 2022, the project has the aim of optimizing and unifying the current packaging of our products, and designing new packaging for products that currently don’t have any. The main goals of the project are to:
- achieve a uniform look and size of packaging for all products;
- optimize the contents of shipments by avoiding bubble wrap or other excessive filler materials;
- minimize the amount of plastic used in our storage, packaging and deliveries.
As a rule, we are using 100 percent recycled and recyclable packaging materials like cardboard postal boxes and biodegradable filler materials. We have now gone one step even further by ensuring that the tape that secures our shipments also supports our vision for a greener future.
Why is paper tape better than plastic tape?
With its extra functionality and eco-friendly properties, paper tape is the greener alternative to traditional vinyl or polypropylene tape.
- It is quick and easy to use with regular tape dispensers.
- It sticks efficiently to all kinds of carton surfaces and is tear-resistant keeping our parcels secure during transportation.
- It’s inexpensive to manufacture, ensuring that we save on packaging costs while benefiting the environment.
- As it’s made from natural resources, the tape has a smooth, natural feel, which enhances the aesthetics of our cardboard packaging.
- It is biodegradable, compostable and 100% recyclable, meaning that it doesn’t need to be removed from packages when they’re ready to be recycled.
Other eco-friendly choices we have made include reducing the use of plastic straps in our packaging by half. We were using four straps on each box. Now, we use two straps per box and only for those weighing more than 3 kg.
We have also adopted the use of completely plastic-free and 100% recyclable paper pockets for our mailing lists.
We will soon be able to calculate the savings in relation to costs and materials, so watch this space for more information about our holistic 360° approach to sustainability.